Female Infertility Treatments
If a woman has been diagnosed with infertility, there are only 50% chance of her successful treatment. However, the successful treatment will depend on the following factors:
- Original cause of the infertility problem
- Age of the woman
- Previous pregnancies’ history
- Duration of the infertility symptoms
Infertility treatments are more beneficial for the women who are facing problems with their ovulation. The treatments are less beneficial for the women whose infertility is because of the damage/blockage to their Fallopian tubes or are facing severe endometriosis.
The foremost important is to treat the original cause of infertility. For instance, if a woman is facing infertility issue because of her thyroid disease. The disease may be causing hormonal imbalance.
Treating Female Infertility with Medicines
Treating Female Infertility with Surgery
Medication Treatments for Female Infertility
- Clomiphene or Clomiphene Citrate
- Gonadotropins or human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
- Bromocriptine or Cabergoline
Clomiphene or Clomiphene Citrate
Clomiphene is medicine that is taken orally by infertility patients. With this medicine, the body is stimulated to make more hormones that help in maturing the eggs in the ovaries. Even after taking Clomiphene for six or more menstrual cycles if you fail to to achieve pregnancy, your treating doctor may recommend other infertility treatments.
- You may be advised to take Clomiphene on 3rd to 5th days of your menstrual cycle.
- Clomiphene helps in inducing ovulation in more than 80% of infertility patients. Half of those who are able to ovulate with this medicine achieve pregnancy and have a baby.
- The chances of getting multiple pregnancies increase with the use of Clomiphene. While in 10% cases, the women are likely to get twins, the chances of having triplets or more are merely 1% or even less.
Gonadotropins and Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
Gonadotropins are prescribed by the infertility specialist if Clomiphene does not respond and stimulate follicle growth.
- Gonadotropins hormones are given on either Day 2 or Day 3 of your periods for continuously a week or up to 12 days.
- While you are being treated with Gonadotropins, your fertility expert may use trans-vaginal ultrasound to examine the size of your developing eggs, that are growing in tiny sacs called follicles. Your fertility specialist may draw your blood frequently to know the level of estrogen produced in your ovaries.
- The chances of multiple pregnancies grow higher with gonadotropins hormone as compared to clomiphene. Nearly 30% of women who get pregnant with this medicine give multiple births and about 65% of them give birth to twins. The remaining 35% account for triplets or more multiple births.
Bromocriptine or Cabergoline
Bromocriptine and cabergoline tablets are taken by mouth (orally) for treating unusually high levels of the prolactin hormone that may be ceasing ovulation. Certain medicines, kidney and thyroid diseases may generate higher levels of prolactin.
- Nearly 90% of women will have normal prolactin levels with the use of Bromocriptine or cabergoline pills.
- Nearly 85% of women ovulate once the prolactin levels become normal by using Bromocriptine or Cabergoline pills.
Removal of infections
In case of you are diagnosed afflicted with Pelvic Inflammatory Disease or any other kind of sexually transmitted diseases of infections, like Chlamydia or Gonorrhea, they are treated with antibiotics and other medicines. After this treatment, the reproductive organs are diagnosed for any damage the diseases or infections, they may have caused and treated as per the requirement of the treatment.
Surgical Treatments for Female Infertility
If your fallopian tubes are malfunctioning and the cause of your infertility, surgery may help in repairing the tubes or removing blockages in your Fallopian tubes. However, the success rates of these kinds of surgeries are low.
Moreover, these types of surgeries concerning the Fallopian tubes may increase the possibility of ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancy is a pregnancy that develops outside of your uterus. They are also known as “tubal pregnancies” as they happen in a Fallopian tube. Surgeries to eliminate endometriosis patches have been found very effective in almost doubling the chances for achieving pregnancy.